The Sanford Science Education Center is a collaborative venture between Sanford Underground Research Facility and Black Hills State University. Our goal is to use the excitement and promise of deep underground science and engineering to inspire and prepare students, educators and the wider community through a variety of programming, including:
- Onsite surface tours, workshops and presentations for school field trips, summer camps, afterschool programs and community groups
- Offsite workshops and presentations at schools and communities around the region
- Distance Education utilizing videoconferencing technology
- Undergraduate and high school research internships and, as well as summer enrichment programs for STEM students
- Professional development opportunities for educators, including content workshops and teacher-in-residence programs
- Public outreach events, such as the annual Neutrino Day Science Festival and the It’s All About Science Science Festival, Lead Live and Downtown Friday nights
Staff at the Sanford Science Education Center are committed to increasing the number of students pursuing Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) careers, especially students who belong to groups historically under-represented in those fields.