The Education and Outreach program is a collaborative venture between Sanford Underground Research Facility and Black Hills State University. Our goal is to use the excitement and promise of deep underground science and engineering to inspire and engage students, educators and the wider community through a variety of programming, including:
- Onsite surface tours, workshops and presentations for K-12 school field trips
- Offsite workshops and presentations at schools and communities across the state
- Distance Education utilizing videoconferencing technology
- Undergraduate and high school internships
- Professional development opportunities for educators, including content workshops and teacher-in-residence programs
Education and Outreach staff are committed to increasing the number of students pursuing Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) careers, especially students who belong to groups historically under-represented in those fields.