(Part-Time/1-2 Days Per Week)
The Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center (SLHVC) Guest Support Associate is responsible for supporting quality and positive experiences for all SLHVC guests. They assist the SLHVC Director and Visitor Experience Manager in all aspects of guest services, from greeting to answering questions, to assisting in the logistics of event hosting.
Line of Authority
The SLHVC Guest Support Associate reports to the SLHVC Director.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
Supports the Visitor Experience:
- Maintains a welcoming environment for all guests of the SLHVC.
- Greets, welcomes and offers assistance and information to all guests.
- Models core value of “safety first” to ensure the safety of visitors and staff by following safety policies and procedures, and informing supervisors of maintenance and repairs as needed.
- Promotes facility amenities and activities at the SLHVC and supports the promotion of other local events and activities.
- Performs light cleaning duties such as mopping and trash removal.
- Stays informed and knowledgeable about all exhibits, both historic and scientific.
Supports the Gift Shop:
- Processes inventory items, checks in inventory and enters it into the point of sale (POS) system.
- Prices inventory, arranges displays, and restocks shelves as needed.
- Cleans, rearranges displays and ensures a tidy gift shop.
- Assists customers with purchases through engagement, education and closing of sale.
The SLHVC Guest Support Associate has the following accountabilities:
- To the SLHVC director for performance of duties.
- To all guests of the SLHVC for their experience when visiting.
The SLHVC Guest Support Associate has the following authorities:
- To stop work upon recognition of a condition that presents imminent danger to the health and safety of staff, the public, or the environment.
- To enforce safety practices among staff.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in retail sales or guest services.
- Experience working with the public and providing excellent customer service.
- Relationship Building—Develops and maintains effective, cooperative working relationships with guests and coworkers.
- Organization—Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Exercises Due Diligence—Manages resources and day-to-day activities in a manner that instill public trust.
- Safety—Ability to learn, understand and comply with Sanford Underground Research Facility safety programs.
- Proof of a valid driver’s license is required.
- Comply with SURF’s safety program.
- Act in accordance with SURF’s core values: Safety Focused, Care for Others, Professionalism and Being a Team Player.
- Perform work in a typical office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Perform limited physical labor and light lifting including walking up and down flights of stairs. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the websitewww.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.