Neutrino Day: A Cosmic Symphony highlights the value of collaboration between the arts and sciences. In addition to a host of activities throughout the City of Lead, this year's all-day event will feature “The Legend of the Northern Lights,” a film that combines visual imagery and music to tell the story behind the Northern Lights phenomena. The film is a collaboration between Dr. Jose Francisco Salgado and the Black Hills Symphony Orchestra. The performance includes a narrator; the Orchestra will perform live.
Friday, July 12, 2019
11 a.m. Mountain Time
- Listen to a SDPB Live Broadcasting from the 4850 Level of Sanford Lab.
Saturday, July 13, 2019
8:30 a.m. — 3 p.m.
- Hoistroom tours: Tours begin at the Visitor Center where guests will receive a wristband and specific time for their tour. VC Trolley will be dedicated to hoistroom tours.
9 a.m. — 3 p.m.
- Activities begin at locations throughout the City of Lead. Check out the activities at each location below!
- Sanford Lab
- SDPB's "Science" Steve
- Displays and experiments
- Science videos in the classroom
- South Dakota Public Broadcasting presents a sneak preview of Images of the Past: Space Age South Dakota, a 30-minute documentary. Previews at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon and 2 p.m.
- Variety of fun videos about science.
- Kiewit-Alberici large equipment demonstration, parking lot
- Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center
- Hoistroom tours starting point (free tickets)
- 10 a.m.: Live video chat with CERN researchers and virtual tour of the CMS experiment
- 1 p.m.: Live video chat with LUX-ZEPLIN dark matter researchers on the 4850 Level of Sanford Lab
- Activities at Visitor Center:
- Geology, observation deck
- Solar telescope, observation deck
- Emergency Rescue Team fire suppression, near Davis Ring
- Manuel Brother's Park
- Native American games, Manuel Brother's Park
- Black Hills Energy, Manuel Brother's Park pavilion
- All-in-One Event Center
- Hands-on science for all ages
- Lead/Deadwood Arts Center
- Art activity
- Interactions Photowalk Photography Show
- Historic Homestake Opera House
- 11 a.m.: Speaker, Cabot-Ann Christofferson, "The Case for Curiosity in Science"
4 p.m. at the Historic Homestake Opera House
"The Legend of the Northern Lights" by Jose Francisco Salgado, with a live performance from the Black Hills Symphony Orchestra